Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Raising a Mom

Parents, what have your children taught you? What do I mean, you ask?

Last night, as I tucked Ryleigh (age 6) into bed, she talked about what she wants to do when she grows up. She talked about staying home and raising her kids, etc. We talked about the jobs I've had and I said, "But raising a child has been my favorite job of all!" She replied, "Raising a mom is my favorite job right now." I chuckled...but it hit me how true that statement is.

 When you have your first child, you wish kids came with a manual, right? It's a beautiful, terrifying, wonderful, scary time.

Her statement humbled me. "Raising a mom." Wow.

My daughter has taught me patience. She's taught me that there is no skin color; that everyone is special. She's taught me humbleness, kindness and pure joy. She's taught me how to laugh again and how to not take myself so seriously. She's taught me that it's OK to be vulnerable.

She's taught me to lighten up in so many situations (It'll be OK, Mom!). She's taught me to forgive quickly and let it go. I mean, she can get punched by a school mate and then the next day, they're BFF's. While I nurse a grudge from, oh say...1987.

I thought my job of raising my daughter was difficult but I'd venture to say that her job of raising a Mom is much, much more difficult.




1 comment:

  1. So true! And growing up she will learn you a lot more (every grade in school more knowledge) and keep you up with technology, etc. I was often surprised when my daughters would ask "why do you do it like that?". And then their fingers crossed my computer or laptop quickly, saying: "You can do it like this. It's much easier!" Love those moments! They keep you young ... if you'll listen to them:-) Enjoy the moments,
    Hugs,
    Lucine

    ReplyDelete